Thursday, September 17, 2009

What if today was your last day?


Last Friday a local ballerina, Elena Shapiro was killed by a drunk driver. I feel like her death has hit close to home. Elena and I used to dance together at Wake Forest University from her mother. I remember her always being so poised and charming. She was a beautiful dance even at a young age and I knew that she was on to big opportunities in her life. It is so frustrating to know someone who made one wrong decision took away something so wonderful away from so many people. A girl like Elena who had so much talent to share and was no where close to finishing her dreams.

It makes me think. What if today was your last day? How would you spend it? Maybe it would be different if you knew that today would be your last day, but maybe it be more of God's plan if you didn't know and you just went on living like you were supposed to. What would be your last thought? Who would you last think about? Would you die with regrets about what you had done to someone, what you didn't accomplish, or what you didn't say? Or would you know that you had done all you could to fulfill all you've ever wanted in life and you were satisfied were you stood.

A thought like that can be inspiring. Life is a gift. It can instantly be gone. I look at my great grandmother who is so close to dying its scary. Some days you can see it in her eyes and other days you could never guess. She is taking every moment she has to get the best out of life while she is here. I take every opportunity that I have when I am at home to get the chance to spend those moments with here. It is one of my life wishes to have her at my college graduation. I want to make her proud and I want to see the promise I have to her to do all I can with my life to make it extraordinary. She has touched my life for the past twenty two years and I want to be able to give this back to her.

Life is not about dwelling about what you don't have or not allowing yourself the opportunity to try. Do not give up, try as hard as you can to get whatever you can. You will succeed if you do try. I have to not give up. I have to not settle. I have to try for the highest goal even if its hard. Never give up on hopes, people, or dreams. They are all easily attainable, we just have to attempt them. Tell people how you feel about them and surround yourself with the people that make your life meaningful.

Make sure when you are saying your prayers at night you thank God for your life. Thanks Him for everything you have, the talents you have, and the chance to live another day. You never know when it could be your last.

RIP Eleana Shapiro.

No comments: