Friday, October 8, 2010

When you were 4 years old.

Can you even think back that far? For me the only reason I remember the age of 4 is because that is the year my brother was born and I became and big sister and also the same year I started taking dance classes.

It's entertaining to observe the four year olds I have in class. As a teacher its interesting to sit back and think...is this how I acted when I was little? Did I really believe in all those myths that Disney was telling me through those very popular Disney Princess' about true love, blah, blah, blah. I almost want to take these little girls by the hand and say, "Honey, I know that Ariel is all cool and everything and she totally grew legs and fell in love with a guy while having no voice...but in the real world you are going to have to work a lot harder than that to land your true love so just push all those fairy tale ideas out of your head."

Things are so simple in the eyes of a child. They play pretend and believe one day they will grow up to be a Princess. Playing house is fun. A child wants to collect as many baby dolls as possible and take care of them as their own. Dressing up is fun. High heels are comfortable. A huge tree can easily become your dream home.

Think about it. What were your favorite things to do when you were small? What did you dream of. Being around these kids keeps me young...allows me to remember what is important about being a child. One day they will figure out that they probably will never be a princess and "playing" house is actually really quite difficult and having lots of babies is not something you want to collect unless you desire to be Kate Gosslin and as for your dream home...well it very well may end up being a tree in this economy.

So until they grow up its sweet to watch them dream. I could never spoil those dreams for them now because that is what keeps everyone going...dreams of better days.

No comments: