Sunday, July 13, 2008

a good friend

Today I had my dear sweet friend, Marie come to visit me in my hometown. It was a bit exciting for me because I've never brought someone from outside of my hometown to here. . . I guess. As a girl and moving away from home you think that one day that you will bring the man of your dreams home to meet Mom & Dad and show him all there is to know about your past, but since that hasn't happened Marie got that experience first.

ANYWAYS it was almost therapy to have my friend here today. I got an opportunity to revisit my past and tell someone the stories of my so called wonder years, the years that made me the woman I am today. To see someone light up at pictures, stories, or even a good ole fashioned tour guide of my small yet popular town made me realize how amazing my life is and potently could be to not only everyone else, but to myself as well.

I know it may seem horrible to think that one could dread the life that they have been given, but I believe that everyone has there moments. Those moments when you look back now where you think about things that you could have done differently and how that would effect who you could be today.

Today I returned to Wake Forest campus where I used to take ballet classes and swung on tree swings, you know the good kind that can withstand anything and make you feel completely ten years younger when you're on them. Well the swing Marie and I were on had the word "abandon" engraved in it. Now what is the real honest to god meaning of abandon? Its kind of a harsh word, but in someways it may be the one word that sets free the soul. Marie and I said it there as we sat and swung on that swing that would abandon one thing from our lives at that point. Hard to think of when you are put on the spot, but to truly think about it alone there is one true thing I wish to abandon, fear. I know its a bit far fetched but still imagine a life with no fear. My two biggest fears: death and loosing people in my life. Well Amy, death is going to happen and eventually I have to face it. As for loosing people in my life, that one is still hard to tell myself that it can be potently OK.

The people in my life, well they make my life. If not for them where would the stories of old times be and the pictures to sit in look at, where would all that be? Even if some people have left my life well they helped me become who I am even if I did get hurt along the way. Of course some people make a more drastic mark than others, and its those that you want to cling to the most and pray they don't repel you.

It's funny how some people can change your life, and how it can happen at the most random moments. Not those moments you create on purpose to make them memorable, but the ones that are created by pure magic it seems. How sometimes the simplest moments mean the whole world to you and can honestly take your breath away. I love finding myself speechless in those moments, like everything just seems to automatically click. . . your life finally has the meaning you've been searching for.

It was good to see a girlfriend today, to laugh like old times and just to be reminded of how truly wonderful the people I have in my life are. Here's to abandoning all those fears and only being thankful for the life that I am given. I feel like I left a lot at that swing today & I believe I want it to stay there for the better in my life especially at this point. . .

1 comment:

marie said...

youuuuu make my life. i love reading this blog, because i totally hear it in your voice. especially the "well, Amy" part :)

thanks for letting me visit you today. i'm glad i can be your boyfriend that you bring home to your parents!