Tuesday, July 15, 2008

wounds that become scars

There's two quotes from Grey's Anatomy, which is my all time favorite TV show, that has always seemed to help or better yet support in the worst of times.
"What's worse, new wounds which are so horribly painful or old wounds that should've healed years ago and never did? Maybe our old wounds teach us something. They remind us where we've been and what we've overcome. They teach us lessons about what to avoid in the future. That's what we like to think. But that's not the way it is, is it? Some things we just have to learn over and over and over again."
Why is it that you can never seem to learn from your wounds which eventually become horrible scars. In reality the reason you have those scars on your body is because either something happened to you or you yourself inflicted the pain upon yourself. I have many scars on my body. A ton from chicken pocks where I was made fun of having scabs so I did the only reasonable thing to do when you are six and scratched them away. Now I live with them on my face, chest, and anywhere else possible. Another scar is down my left calf from riding my bike down a hill way too fast and flipping over the handle bars. My most recent on the top of my right foot, which seems to have a very hard time healing. . . .
Each time I've received these wounds I also received a life lesson: don't let others judge you about the way you look just accept who you are and know that you are beautiful the way you were made, or don't ride your bicycle down that hill ever again or at least not at that speed...
So what happens when your heart is wounded? Like Meredith Grey's quote some wounds are just meant for us to learn over and over again. A wounded heart hurts tremendously. We can patch it up say its OK, give it some breathing room and it's back and ready for action. But its that next time that you feel that painful throbbing in your thoracic cavity that you know you've done it again. Those bandages didn't hold up and your heart is wounded, possibly worse than before.
Sometimes that wounded heart almost becomes a numb feeling, and that can be a terrifying thought. Who could possibly want to become to feeling of heartache? It will always hurt. It will always make you gasp for your breath and try to make you put together the pieces in your head when you know they are scrambled elsewhere.
Yes, I do wish that my scars were gone and visible on my exterior because to me the are a mark of my moments of weakness throughout life, but deep down I know I learned something from them. So why can't I steer away from a wounded heart? Is it because my heart lies within and no one can see how scared up it may be that I don't learn that valuable life lesson? It's one I may never figure out, or one the human heart cannot wait for me to figure out because it cannot possibly take anymore pain.
"People have scars. In all sorts of unexpected places. Like secret road maps of their personal histories. Diagrams of all their old wounds. Most of our wounds heal, leaving nothing behind but a scar. But some of them don't. Some wounds we carry with us everywhere and though the cut is long gone, the pain still lingers."

No comments: