Thursday, July 17, 2008

signs of help

It's difficult to watch someone you love fall apart. How do you when to step in and become supportive, or better yet is it even OK to step in? People change, most of the time at a very slow pace until one day it slaps you upside the face. Why didn't you stop it? What could you have done to help it? Did they change because of you? These situations have become difficult for me especially this year. I would go into more depth but its way too much information for an online blog. I want to help, I just don't know how.

When people fall apart it becomes a domino effect. It begins with them and their problem, which no one may know about, and then it travels on to someone who is extremely close to them. They get hurt and then whoever is next in line has to watch them suffer which causes them to ask the question, what can I do? Why does it have to cause so much pain to others. I honestly believe that the person who suffers the most is the person who has the extremely close relationship to them. They are in pain because they are trying to help but are unsuccessful while at the same time they are getting all the blame and hardship.

As a 20 year old I know that my twenties are my vital years. Marriage and babies could be possible, and it is a scary situation. I just want to enjoy being young and on my own building my foundation for my life ahead. Marriage scares me because of how quickly it can fall apart for some. I don't want to be a statistic. I want to live a happy life with my husband someday and I always want him to look and feel about me the way he did from the very first day we met. It's so rare though. When did marriages become a painful experience and no longer the most beautiful part of a humans life?

I don't like watching people fall apart, especially families. It's hard, but what if it made everything better? What if letting that person out of your life would bring out the more enjoyable things that surround you. Running away does nothing because the situation will always follow. Letting go though, maybe that's the solution a horrible solution but maybe the right one.

My Dad is turning fifty today and I wonder how he feels about his life. What would he change, what does he regret, and what would he never give up if someone paid him a million dollars for it. Better yet, what does he look forward to in his future? Seeing my wedding, my children, and watching his life only bloom even more to what it has now? I hope all those things. I want to help him see how bright of a future he has with my family. My brother and I graduating, Taylor going to college, weddings for both of us, grandchildren, and growing old with the girl he fell in love with back in high school. I hope he looks forward to it all.

You know looking at my Dad makes me realize how I need to enjoy each year of age. Don't regret it because even if you do get to fifty one day look at how much more you have to look forward to in life. Heck, even retirement. Treasure life and always give thanks to everyday you've been given because you never know when it will be your last. Life is beautiful, make the ones in your life who have trouble seeing that realize all they have and how much more they have to gain. That's how you can help. Just make them realize all the good in their life and maybe the bad will just slowly disappear.

No comments: